Friday, January 30, 2009

Anticipating: Princess Kaiulani Movie (2009?)



Being Hawaiian and from Hawaii, when I first heard the news that a movie was being produced about the life and legacy of Princess Kaiulani (Crown Princess of Hawaii) I was overjoyed. Although final production of the film has pushed back the release numerous times, I am hopeful that we'll get a chance to see it within the next few months.

This movie will give Hawaii and the Hawaiian people unprecedented exposure. I believe a lot of people don't even know that Hawaii was once a independent nation that was quite recently (from a historical stand point) overthrown and eventually taken over by the United States. Many Hawaiian groups are challenging the accuracy of the story, but from what I've read and seen, I believe the film's director and screenwriter, Marc Forby, is attempting to capture the real story of Princess Kaiulani while trying to reach the largest possible audience.

I will definitely keep you updated about this much anticipated film. I'll give you a release date as soon as I'm able.

For more information on Princess Kaiulani check out Wikipedia's article.
For more information on the movie and it's producers visit Matador Pictures.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am doing a huge project on Princess Ka'iulani for school, but its kind of weird that there making a movie on her but nobodies heard of her.

Anonymous said...

The release date is currently March 2010

Anonymous said...

Release is now May 2010 but a new trailer should be in theaters as early as March 11th.

Sheri C said...

New information about this movie. Official release date May 14 in the following cities, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Diego, Phoenix, New York, and various locations in the Hawaiian Islands. Expanded city engagements will follow throughout the summer. The film is being released through Roadside Attractions and more info about it can be found on their page:
http://www.roadsideattractions.com/Catalog/FilmLibrary.asp?BusinessUnitID={3134273E-EA18-4451-AC2B-40C0CC73ED2D}&ProjectID={9CF7B1D2-8276-4F51-A4B0-8ED09EA0F788}
for additional pictures and info to use as a blog post, please email me.