Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hancock (2008)

MY RATING: C+

RUN TIME: 92 min

MPAA RATING: PG-13

MY REVIEW:  Will Smith is such a badass!  He was about the only thing that saved Hancock from going down into my list of "shitty-ass" movies.  The whole cast of Hancock gave stellar performances.  Its a shame the poorly written story poopooed what could have been an awesome film.

I will say the first half of the movie was quite well done.  Smith added real depth to Hancock and made the interaction between him and the world around very thought provoking.  I thought the superhero theme would be a bit corny, but this movie took it to a whole new level; a superhero with a drinking problem, that's good stuff.  Superb specials effects made it possible for Hancock's humor to be very effective.

The second half is a completely different story.  It was as if someone completely different wrote the second half and wasn't really sure how it was supposed to end.  I'm not even sure how it was supposed to end.  I'm unsure if they were trying to us up for a sequel (BTW, I HATE when movies are just setups for the next installment!), but the ending was really messy and ruined the whole experience.  Yuck!

All in all, good acting, back writing and I wish I was a superhero!

No comments: