Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

MY RATING:  A-

RUN TIME: 124 min

MPAA RATING: PG-13

DISCLAIMER:  Before reading my review please understand that I did not watch the preceding trilogy of Indiana Jones nor did I review background information on Indiana Jones or his adventures.  With that in mind, try to refrain from screaming at your computer screen when I write something that would have made sense had I watched the trilogy.

MY REVIEW:  I don't want to give too much away because Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a superb film.  A-class acting coupled with mind-blowing special effects made for a experience that took me back to the theater to watch this movie a second time.  Non-stop excitement kept me peeled to the screen as a riveting story line played out.  I'm not a fan of most action movies, due mainly to extended fight scenes that leave me checking the time on my phone, but Indiana Jones was able to strike a good balance between fight scenes and actual substance.  

Beside the miraculous survival of Indiana Jones time and time again (I'm assuming that's part of the Indy "brand"),  the only drawback I felt was that you never really felt Indiana Jones was in danger.  Yes, there was plenty of guns and high cliffs, but you knew no one was going to die, or if they did it would have been a big surprise (Yes this may also be part of the Indy "brand").  Without the threat of real danger, the movie did go smoothly, but I was never clinching my seat in anxiety.

Overall, this movie was well crafted and well worth the price of admission.  As for watching it again, I already did.  Now a third time will take some thought.  Excellent acting and great special effects.  So for the best movie I've seen this year.

No comments: