Thursday, May 15, 2008

WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS (2008)

"What Happens in Vegas" was not a movie that I was itching to see for a long time.  Preview wise, I didn't find it very appealing.  It takes a lot to make me laugh however, and the scene in the trailer where Cameron Diaz's character slides across the bar, falls off the end, then after a silent moment by spectators pops back up with a cheerful scream did give me a chuckle.  I went into the theatre prepared for a predictable chick-flick with not-quiet-laugh-out-loud comedy.


However, I was pleasantly surprised with the movie's simplicity and candor.  There isn't a million settings or characters of which to keep track.  A plot that I thought was too simple for a movie was developed into something with actual substance.  Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz both have an energy which brightens the movie.  There are moments of rawness that, although makes the movie seem like it was shot in a single shoot, did make their characters really come alive.  You felt like you were really watching two people in their everyday life.  


Overall a good movie.  Not a movie I would watch twice, but I had not regrets after watching it once.  So-so comedy, I felt the more dramatic elements of the movie were much more entertaining than the comedy.  Good lessons and some fair acting.


MY RATING:  C+

No comments: